Travelex’s Multi-Currency Cash Passport Card
I’ve already mentioned a tidbit about Travelex’s Multi-Currency Cash Passport (MCP), but I wanted to go a little more in depth about its benefits for travelers. Read on for the perks and where you can buy one…
What is it?
The MCP card is a debit card offered by Mastercard that can load up to six currencies – British Pounds, Euros, Australian Dollars, Canadian Dollars and Japanese Yen.
Why should I buy it?
– It has a chip and PIN-code feature for extra safety. Chip-installed cards are commonly used outside the USA, and withouth one a traveler might run into some problems.
– It is easy to reload – in person at Travelex stores, online or by phone.
– You can load more than one currency at a time, which is perfect for traveling to Europe or for a round-the-world trip.
– It is replaceable – if you lose you card, Travelex will send a replacement card by mail within 24 hours to wherever you are. Or if you spend over $1250 on the card initially, they will give you a second card for free right away!
– The MCP card is also perfect for study abroad students because their parents can reload it for them as they need from home. Also great for travelers who don’t already own a travel debit or credit card with chip-installation.
– Provides anonymity to the owner because it does not have the owner’s information on it, unlike other debit and credit cards. This can be useful if it is lost or stolen.
– Because the money on the card is loaded as the local currency, you won’t be charged ATM fees, bank fees or foreign transaction fees.
– The rate you purchased at is locked-in and won’t change each day you use it for purchases, unlike with other cards.
Where can I buy the MCP card?
You can purchase the Multi-Currency Cash Passport Card on Travelex’s website or in-person at their stores. There is a $5.95 fee for first card, but all other fees are taken off after that.