Review: Hotel Zed in Victoria BC
It seems so convenient to stay at a hotel chain or bland looking, cookie cutter design hotel when on vacation. But why go for the usual when you can find hotels that focus on character, creating a memorable experience and putting the customer first? That is why I jumped at the chance to stay at Hotel Zed when I was planning my first vacation to Victoria BC.
No, Hotel Zed isn’t fancy and upscale like a stay at the Fairmont Empress Hotel would be. To be honest, it was remodeled from an old model building. Hotel Zed has managed to tie in the motel vibe with a fresher look though. The décor has a retro feel and is full of vibrant colors. I personally love the hotel lobby, with chill hangout spaces, coffee and tea for a pick-me-up throughout the day, board games for lazy nights in and typewriters for writing a letter to friends and family back home!
I also want to compliment the staff at the Hotel Zed for their superb customer service! Dealing with booking issues, making special requests, popping into the lobby late at night for hot chocolate and being driven around in the sweet retro VW bus was all memorable due to their dedication and friendly help. Although expected, that’s not something you receive at every hotel!
- Shuttle service in the retro VW bus by reservation
- Free entertainment: board games, record collection to listen to in the lobby, ping-pong tables and an indoor pool with the “Zedinator” waterslide!
- Nearby main bus lines to downtown Victoria and free parking
- Really firm beds (not good for those who like soft beds!)
- Bathrooms haven’t been updated as much as the rest of the hotel
- Not in the downtown Victoria area (but easy to reach by frequent bus loops nearby)
Hotel Zed is perfect for families and group stays in Victoria BC. My stay was not sponsored by the Hotel Zed, but Tourism Victoria sponsored part of my trip. All opinions are solely mine and reflect my stay at Hotel Zed truthfully.